The program acts as a force multiplier, allowing our police officers to be more safely and effectively deployed while still addressing traffic enforcement.
Red-Light Safety Camera Locations
- Fillmore Street and Union Blvd
- East Platte Avenue and Chelton Road
- Briargate Boulevard and Lexington Drive
- North Academy Boulevard and North Carefree Circle
- North Academy Boulevard and Dublin Boulevard
- Lake Avenue and East Cheyenne Mountain
- Airport Road and South Academy Boulevard
- East Platte Avenue and North Union Boulevard
- East Woodmen Road and Duryea Drive
- Austin Bluffs and North Academy
- Platte and North Murray
- Woodmen Road and Black Forest Road
- Barnes Road and Tutt Boulevard
- Maizeland and North Academy
- Voyager Pkwy and Academy Blvd
- Colorado Ave and 31st Street
- Academy Blvd and Astrozon Blvd
- Voyager Pkwy and Interquest Pkwy
30-Day Warning Period
As red light cameras at each intersection are implemented motorists will have a 30-day education and warning period for violations at that intersection. The registered owner of a vehicle may receive a notice by mail that a red-light running violation has occurred, but no fine will be issued for the first 30 days. After the 30-day warning period, violations confirmed by staff will be issued to the registered owner.
How Red-Light Safety Cameras Work
A red-light running violation occurs when a motorist ENTERS an intersection AFTER the traffic signal has turned red.
- The system activates when motion is detected just prior to the stop bar AFTER the traffic signal has turned red. The cameras capture two images of an alleged violation, taken from the rear of the vehicle and one image taken from the front of the vehicle.
- The license plate and driver’s images are close-ups from the images captured.
- Cameras also record a digital video of the violation, including footage prior to and after running the red light.
- The first image shows the vehicle at the white stop bar and the illuminated red light.
- The second image shows the violator in the middle of the intersection with the red light illuminated.
- The license plate image is a close-up from one of the images captured.
- Data, including the time, date, and duration of the yellow and red lights, also is recorded.
- Cameras also record a 12-second digital video of the violation, including six seconds prior to and six seconds after running the red light.
Additional Driver Resources
Safe driving protects you and our community. Here are some tips for how to be a safe driver:
- Focus on Traffic Safety webpage
- Safe driving tips from the Colorado Department of Transportation
- How to drive safely in winter conditions from the National Highway Safety Administration
Distracted driving is a dangerous and growing concern for all communities. Learn more and commit to safer and distraction-free driving from www.distraction.gov